Tuesday, June 15

Manicotti

It’s been a while since I have posted a recipe! I am still digging out from under the laundry pile, I think I have about 4 more loads to go. Mostly just the sleeping bags and towels. It will be nice to get it all put away and out of my living room. I am ready to move on to another project! 003   12 Large manicotti shells

1 cup ricotta cheese

1 cup cottage cheese

1 egg

4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided

1 Tablespoon basil

1/4 dried parsley

1 package frozen spinach

1 quart spaghetti sauce

1/2 grated parmesan cheese

FREEZER STEP: Partially cook noodles until they are just pliable about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Lay them out on a towel.

For filling, stir together 3 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese, spinach, parsley, and basil. Stuff the shells.

Spoon half of spaghetti sauce into baking dish. Arrange shells and pour remaining sauce over the top. Top with mozzarella cheese

TO PREPARE: Thaw and cook for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 10 minutes longer.

TIPS: Undercooking your noodles helps them not get mushy during the thawing process where they absorb liquid. I make my own spaghetti sauce and can it. I think the store bought size is a 28 ounce jar. I also used my homegrown spinach and sautéed it before combining it with the cheese mixture. If I have zucchini on had I will add some of that too.

My boys love Italian dishes and this adds a nice variety since it is meatless. It’s also a time consuming prep meal and its always so nice to pull it out of the freezer knowing I don’t have to do all the work that goes into it! I usually serve it with breadsticks and a green salad. I will post the recipes for my sauce and the breadstick recipe I use is from HERE. I have mixed white and wheat flours or used white wheat and they still taste great. We never have any leftovers.

Recipe from my dear friend Catina in Illinois!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Great sounding recipe, and I loved the pictures. We are headed there next week, so the pictures were extra special!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, if you have a question please leave an e-mail address so I can return your question with an answer. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails