Friday, September 17

An organized basement

One of the big projects my Mom and I accomplished in the last two weeks was the basement. While it was partially organized it had piles of  things in the walkways that I had gotten lazy about and not put away. It also had furniture waiting to me moved around to be used effectively for sewing and crafting storage. Crafting storage is a new addition to the basement, I needed a place for fabrics, sewing machines, a cutting table, and all those craft supplies and unfinished projects! Warning! Lots of photos.
Earlier this week I finished painting the playroom side of the basement. The bright cheerful color makes it feel so much brighter and warmer down there. Our little library keeps growing and I am going to add another shelf when I make it to IKEA again. We also have the most read and used books upstairs in the school room. The toys are stored in the crated along the bottom. I think they are from the Container Store, we have had them for at least 8 years.005I added a couple of maps to the wall and moved the movie storage next to the TV. We don't have cable and only watch movies every now and then, but it makes sense to keep them where they are used. 006This is the storage side for Holiday Decorations, and clothing, I am planning on curtaining it off soon. That's another project. :)  My husband's desk is also here, he does work from home every now and then so it is nice to have a place where it is quiet. We stay upstairs on those days. 007This is the area of the biggest change. We continued the flooring all the way through this area also. It is so much warmer and comfortable on your feet! I purchased the old farm table at a sale for 30.00. I lift up the other leaf when I need the space for cutting out dress patterns or other large and messy projects.012This is across from the sewing area. It is the "new",  craft cabinet and decorative storage. Both of these pieces of furniture were originally somewhere else and no longer needed. This shelf helps me see everything easily and actually use it for decorating.I plan to use the bulletin board to pin up decor and sewing ideas, it was just sitting in a corner before. The picture frames on the right are for a projects and the ones on the left are waiting for concrete screws so I can hang them up in the basement.011My little sewing nook has everything I need all in one spot. It will be so nice to work here and watch the children play.016This part of the shelving unit, which is from IKEA holds a few more decorating things, cake decorating, painting, gift wrap, candles, and some seasonal items. I cleaned out everything we don't use and ended up with an extra shelf for the food stuffs.014This is the canning and appliance storage side. It holds much of our food for the winter. The empty jars are all waiting for applesauce which I will be doing in a week or so. 013This is where I store the appliances and canning pots, although they are still upstairs being used! I have crock pots, an ice cream maker, pressure cooker and canner, roasting pan, food strainer, smoker, cider press, dehydrator, and other things I only use occasionally or seasonally. Our kitchen just isn't big enough to hold all of these big items.015This is where I keep my fabrics in the dresser, and more frames that go in the children's rooms. Hopefully soon my husband will add another outlet so I can have the stereo to use and the fridge will not have to have an extension cord running across the floor. Now that I painted the children's side, I really want to paint this section also. I think it will brighten it up too, anything to make it look less like a unfinished basement. 010I just love coming downstairs and seeing it all organized! As I finish up the last few things I want to do, I'll share those also.017I hope I didn't bore you will all the photos!




19 comments:

  1. Bekki, I'm so glad that you were able to get the painting done. It is nice to finish a project and see the results. You will love it this winter. The kids can play and you can sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this basement! Wonderful ideas for organizing and decorating. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!! You can walk in your basement I'm so impressed! I'm sure that tripping down the stairs on laundry day will be how I die. Yours is spectacular. And the canning....well it's awesome. inspiring, and has left me with my jaw on the floor! You're amazing! What are your totals? In the grand scheme of things I'm just getting started with canning. Just trying to find what we'll like to eat and how much I need every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome...enjoyed seeing all your hard work. Love, love, love!!! Now I need to go clean my basement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that looks incredible. I ditto quinn, the canning. Impressive. One day I will learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there new follower here from Indiana.I found your blog from Heavenly Homemakers,I was looking at canning applesauce.I homeschool my 9 yr old son and we raise chickens and we are learning how to live off our little land that we have been blessed with.I am in LOVE with your basement,it looks good.Well I am going to continue to read around.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ran across your blog and am enjoying it. One of my jobs for this winter is to clean out my basement, including all my canning stuff. Looking at what you've done, I am suddenly inspired. Thank you. It looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your basement looks incredible.

    I so miss having a basement. My brothers and I used to have it all to ourselves and would roller skate down there during rain storms.

    blessings,
    jilly
    visiting from house of grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your canning items are very impressive! I think you are set for the winter! Thanks for sharing all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm trying not to be jealous!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely incredible. Seriously, amazing. THANK YOU so much for linking up and sharing! I am inspired!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    Where did you get your shelves? Who makes them? Thanks!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoops, you can reach me at gracekristy@gmail.com about the shelves, thanks again!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are awesome! What an inspiration. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are awesome! What an inspiration. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. where did you get the shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The. Shelves are the GORM line from IKEA. They do not make the corner piece any more, but the other pieces are still available.

      Delete
  18. Totally Fabulous and Very Inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, if you have a question please leave an e-mail address so I can return your question with an answer. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails